Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Brushstroke exercise

Here's a few takes on a brushstroke exercise we did during Carol Marine's workshop. With a limited number of brushstrokes we had to render a convincing shape. The shadow side of the apple on the first one was too light, in the second one it was too dark and I was satisfied (and tired) with the last one. I'll need to practice some more...

I also learned not to be afraid of wiping off part or the entire painting when it's not working. So there were a few wipes before the first one.



3 comments:

Bob Barker said...

How many brushstrokes, Johanne? Were there an equal number in each of these examples. Great progress from the first to the last!
I have not been ignoring your posts since you came back - but my wireless network has been behaving rather badly and I've been trying to tame it.

Johanne Morin said...

Too many brushstrokes! The idea was to use as few as possible. I didn't count them, but by the look of it there is room for improvement.

Bob, it's good to hear from you again. Good luck taming the "beast".

BJ said...

I am amazed at how much you learned. They all look very good to me. And I really liked the group picture of the participants. Looking forward to seeing more of your work.