Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Pastel: Gone Ashore - study

Although I'm looking forward to going back to painting with oil, I'm going to stick to pastel for the next few weeks.
I want to be ready (warmed up) for a "paint around" (or rotating demo) in which I will participate at the end of the month during the Austin Pastel Society (APS) meeting with four others artists (Regina Burchett, D. K. Richardson, Mike Etie and John Bittick). Each one starts a painting of their choice, then switches every 12 minutes to work on their next door neighbor's painting and finishes in front of their own painting to complete the rotation. The paintings will be up for silent auction, and the money will go the the APS scholarship fund. I'm excited to be part of this and hopefully it will be exciting to watch as well.

Here's a pastel painted from a picture I took
a few years ago on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa, Canada. I like that it's loosely done and not perfect.

Pastel on Kitty Wallis paper, 8 x 6"

5 comments:

Bob Barker said...

Will the "paint around" be broadcast live on the internet? It would be fun to watch!

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

Bob, I would be surprised if someone volunteers to do it. I thought they did a video last year but I never saw it. I let you know...

Louise and David said...

I'm with Bob on this one, Johanne, the "paint around" sounds like a challenging event for the invited artists and an interesting show for viewers. Will we at least get to see pictures of the finished pieces?
Louise

BJ said...

I love the idea of this project. It would be exciting and fun to be there to watch. I hope they will publish the resulting pictures on the Web.

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

My friend Libby Peters was kind enough to take pictures at my easel during the "paint around". I'll post them soon. Rae Andrews who organized the painting around also volunteered to make a video. I'll let you know when that will come available.