Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Oil study #173 - plein air and Workshop with Virginia Vaughan

I went to a 3 day workshop with Virginia Vaughan at the Fredericksburg Artists' School last week. We had a small group of very nice people willing to work from sunrise to sunset. It allowed me to try things that I wouldn't have done on my own, e.g. sketching farm animals and painting the sky at sunrise and sunset.

This painting is a rework of one of the studies I did the first night. It was supposed to be a warm up study before the study of the sunset but I spent too much time on this one and was not ready for the (fast moving) sunset :(

Looking at this one brings me right back into the workshop. I'm pretty happy with the field and I will try to paint more clouds...

Oil on panel, 6 x 8"

3 comments:

Holly Gustafson said...

I always love your landscapes, Johanne!

BJ said...

This is a lovely scene. I hope you did do one of a sunset later on at the workshop.

JohanneMorinFineArt said...

Thanks Holly and BJ!

BJ I tried to paint a sunset at the workshop, but I'm afraid it's a no show. I'll try it again from a reference picture.