Monday, February 16, 2009

Oil study #42

After a few wipes yesterday I ended up with a no show. So I went for simplicity today.

I think I got the transparency of the vase pretty well. I like the red in the shadow, but it's a bit too large for the size of the vase. I like the intense red (it's more intense than in the picture) against the more muted colors of the background and the surface.

2 comments:

Bob Barker said...

Good morning, Johanne,
The transparency must have been a little tricky to get just right, but I too think you did it. The reds are great, particularly on the inside of the flared top - really good. What is slightly disconcerting to me is the placement of the catchlight on the silver band - I want to line it up with the catchlights in the flare and the shadow of the vase. I may also be trying to impose a foreign construct that has no place in the art world.

In any case, the form of the vase is lovely to look at.

Johanne Morin said...

Bob, you're right: the catchlight/highlight on the band should have been narrower and a little to the right. This way it would have lined up with the light on the flare up. Thanks for your kine eye.